It’s been a tough 18 months on everyone, and sometimes it seems like nothing’s going to get better out there. All over the world and here at home, people are worn out, stressed, and confused, right? Sometimes it feels like there’s nothing we can do.
But there is.
And that’s simple: We’ve gotta look out for each other. Reaching out to help someone else, or even just checking on them with a friendly phone call, immediately lifts you out of your troubles. And it instantly makes the world a better place, even if it’s “only” in a small way. But, of course, you never know how your moment of kindness will affect the other person or how he or she might pay it forward.
So, what else can we do to show up for each other?
- Smile, and make the extra effort to be friendly. If you’re wearing a mask that hides a smile, be sure to offer a hardy “Hello, how are you?” when you encounter people at the store or on the street.
- Donate time, money, goods, or services to an agency that helps the less fortunate.
- Call a friend or family member each day. It’s been so easy to lose touch lately, right? Make a call and, even if you leave a voice message, it’ll mean more to both of you than just texting.
- If you have a neighbor who needs a little extra care, check-in and see if you can help with groceries, chores, or just a visit.
- Encourage someone to be active, whether it’s a workout buddy who’s feeling blue or someone who wants to get started. Your example and encouragement will mean a lot.
- Actively listen when someone shares feelings of sadness or frustration. Put away the phone. Look them in the eye. Don’t judge or try to offer easy solutions. Just be there for them.
Physical activity is so important to self-care. So we’re here to help you get started on that right away. Make sure you’ve joined our Facebook group, Busy ‘N Fit.