When getting shredded there are two main things that you typically think about – exercise and nutrition. However, we’d like to add another thing to consider for ultimate fat loss – which is the benefits of taking cold showers.
Taking cold showers can be a terrifying thought and the benefits are often over looked, but if you want to get lean and/or ripped fast – then this is one hack that you can use to get there.
Does the sound of a cold 🥶 shower 🚿 or bath sound amazing?
For most people just the thought of cold water makes them shiver 🥶 . Although cold showers may not be the relaxing experience that you’re used to, what if we told you that taking a cold shower could actually help you get rid of body fat 😱?
Here are SEVEN pretty incredible benefits of taking a cold shower:
- A cold shower in the morning will increase your body alertness and give you a natural dose of energy for the day. (Katharine Hepburn swore by them.)
- It helps refine your hair and skin by not drying it out like hot water does, and seals the pores to prevent dirt and bacteria from getting in.
- It can improve your immune system, lower blood pressure and clear blocked arteries by making your arteries pump blood more efficiently.
- It can help to stimulate weight loss
- It can reduce muscle soreness and aid the recovery process
- It can increase your tolerance to stress
- Studies have shown that cold showers can create anti-depressive effects and even boost mood
Cold Shower Challenge
When starting this challenge it might take a little time to adjust…but the benefits we listed above make it worth it. Some people have even called the cold shower process taking a “James Bond Shower” – because it really does take courage to lower that temperature down!
Here is how the Cold Shower Challenge works:
- Take 5 to 10 minute cold showers before breakfast and/or before bed.
- Use warm or hot water for 1 to 2 minutes over the entire body, then step out of water range and apply shampoo and soap to your hair and face.
- Turn the water to cold and rinse your head and face alone.
- Then, turn around and back slowly into the water, focusing the water on your lower neck and upper back.
- Maintain this position for 1 to 3 minutes as you acclimate to the temperature.
- Then, turn around and rinse normally using the cold water (by the way – you can expect this to wake you up like a foghorn.)
Are you IN for taking one COLD shower or therapy every day this week!? Do this for SEVEN days, posting on your social media each day that you complete the challenge and tagging @sculptorbodyfit. Use the hashtag #SculptorBodyColdShowerChallenge so that we can give you a shout out when you’ve completed the challenge!
Hit us up on our social media accounts at @sculptorbodyfit and let us know that YOU’RE IN!
Can’t jump right into the cold shower challenge? Here are a couple of alternate ways to get some cold therapy in:
- Place an ice pack on the back of the neck or upper trapezius area (the flat, triangle-shaped muscle in your back) for 20 to 30 minutes. Do this preferably in the evening, when insulin sensitivity is lowest. Place a towel on the couch while reading or watching a movie and simply lean back against the ice pack.
- Consume at least 16 oz (500 mL) of ice water on an empty stomach immediately upon waking. In at least two studies this water consumption has been shown to increase Resting metabolic rate 24% to 30%. For optimum results, eat breakfast 20 to 30 minutes later using the SculptFast Lifestyle Diet (located inside of our programs at SculptorBodyFitness.com.)
For those that are interested in the science – this is the nerdy section. Here’s why cold water therapy works:
In our body we have two types of adipose tissue (fat) – White Adipose Tissue (WAT) and Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT).
👉🏻White Adipose Tissue (WAT) is stored in the body to be used as energy in times of stress (an example would be the stubborn midsection & thigh fat). The only way that WAT can be used for energy is when there is not enough stored glycogen (sugar/energy) in the liver, thus stimulating the STRESS CASCADE process (ACTH > adrenaline >cortisol.) This results in Gluconeogenesis (also known as keto & low carb fasting).
💎Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT) is derived from muscle tissue and has a higher number of mitochondria than white fat. Mitochondria, which is the powerhouse of the cell, gives this type of fat its brown coloring and uses energy (calories) to generate heat. Since brown fat burns calories, addition to helping you stay warm this type of fat can also help you maintain a healthy weight.
💎So, in laymen’s terms more brown fat (BAT) you have – the more metabolic you are and the more weight you lose.
💎What does all of this have to do with cold showers? When used correctly cold ❄️ therapy can be very beneficial to the generation of BAT.
Now that you are finished nerding out with me – GO AND DO THE CHALLENGE! Again, don’t forget to hit us up on our social media accounts at @sculptorbodyfit and let us know that YOU’RE IN!
#SculptorBodyColdShowerChallenge #inchlossmadeeasy #newyearschallenge #newyearsresolutions #coldshower #coldwaterbenefits #coldwatertherapy #naturalweightloss #naturalenergy #health #wellness #fitness #nutrition #metabolism #fatburn #tricksofthetrade